Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Home-Based Entrepreneurs Can Take Their Kids to Work Too


Home-Based Entrepreneurs Can Take Their Kids to Work Too

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 06:23 AM PDT

Thursday is “Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day” here in the US. My oldest son came to me yesterday and mentioned that many of his friends wouldn’t be in school because they would be participating. He was wondering if he could too.

Now my first instinct was, “What? You want to sit in my room with me at my desk and watch me on the computer all day?” But then I thought again. Because, as entrepreneurs, we have a remarkable gift and legacy to leave to our children. We may not go to an office (we don’t have to go to an office!!!) but there are still many valuable experiences we can share with our children. By observing us, our children can learn work ethic, self-discipline, working towards a goal, and many other important life skills.

My son headed to school with a note in his backpack today telling his teacher that he wouldn’t be in school Thursday because he’s participating in Take Your Child to Work Day. And what will he be doing? Here are some things I thought of. I thought it might be fun if you added yours as well. Let’s create a resource for all the work at home parents that want to share this day with their kids. (And by the way, this website has a ton of resources to make this a valuable educational experience for your child as well.)

We will…

  • Look at a US map and mark where my clients are.
  • I’ll give him an overview of what my schedule looks like on a typical day.
  • Participate in some “community management” activities for my clients. I’ll have him locate some great content online to share through various social networking profiles my company maintains.
  • Help me plan a marketing campaign for one of my clients.
  • Go out for lunch!
  • Help me organize some files in my office.
  • Create a spreadsheet to track income and expenses (I’ll give him some sample expenses and income, and show him how to do the calculations within Excel.)
  • Talk about what he’d like to be when he grows up, and do some online research into what that career may look like when he’s old enough to get that job.
  • Write a blog post about his day (which I’ll feature here.) He’ll bring the link to school to share with his classmates and teacher.

One of the things I love about a direct selling career is the example we set for our kids. I still remember watching my son when he was about 3 years old doing some imaginative play. He was pretending to drive a truck with his brother. When they stopped, he said, “I’ll fix the truck. I own the tire store.” Notice the language here. He didn’t WORK at the tire store. He owned it. That’s the gift we give our kids. We teach them to be leaders. To create jobs. To make a difference.

Are you participating in Take Your Child to Work Day? What activities would you suggest that direct sellers could do with their kids? Let’s create a resource that everyone can use in the comments!



Your Green Invitation to Check Us Out!
Rodan+Fields Dermatologists
Executive Consultant
Trish Ackermann
FACESBYTRISHRF@GMAIL.COM

http://facesbytrish.posterous.com
(615) 477.1230 verizon cell

MY STORY

I'm a former sales manager/trainer/wife and mom who jumped at the opportunity to the ride the coat-tails of the dermatologist who created ProActiv and they set out to change the face of skincare and lives with their signature line of products, Rodan + Fields Dermatology.

My goals were to find a new, creative option in which I could still mold my schedule around my kids, and still have time to volunteer at school and in my community. I have been profoundly blessed to find more than I was looking for with this business model and compensation plan!

My goal today...is to make it to the top of Rodan + Fields pay plan this year and give my husband the opportunity to retire from his 25 years of Corporate America by May of 2012!

Creating financial freedom for my family is rewarding but helping others to duplicate this success is what makes this the best type of business in the world!

Get ahead of the wave of economic change by joining me...Today!

Dial In 24/7 For the Business Opportunity Replays

605-475-4009, Access Code: 644240 # 

(wait, reference is the # key)

Posted via email from Faces by Trish *Rodan+Fields*

No comments:

Post a Comment