Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Confessions of a Dermatologist



By Dr. Katie Rodan

This derm’s confession?  I am a control freak, especially when it comes to my appearance. Because even good stress can take a toll on one’s skin, every year I have the five weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year’s to deal with my misbehaving complexion. Going to cocktail parties, battling the crowds while shopping for last minute gifts, packing patients into my schedule for their  holiday “fix,” all while I’m sleep deprived and sustained on a diet of sugary carb-laden fatty foods, does not wear well!  A flare-up of sensitive skin, breakouts and under-eye dark circles comprise my personal battlefield.

Fortunately, as a dermatologist, I have knowledge, experience and skills on my side to whip my skin into picture perfect shape, making sure I look as fresh and rested at my New Year’s Eve party as I did at Thanksgiving dinner.  Here are my top tips to hide stress and prevent it doing a number on my skin.

First, I try to meditate at least 10-15 minutes a day. Meditation helps to control cortisol, the hormone which is released in response to the “fight or flight” reaction.  The skin signs and symptoms of cortisol excess include an increase in TEWL (transepidermal water loss) which causes skin to become dry and itchy.  Also, cortisol produces a spike in sebaceous gland output contributing to breakouts which can really ruin your family photos. While I don’t have the natural temperament to meditate and most days don’t feel like I have the time, fitting this practice into my routine really helps take the edge off holiday stress.

Second, I always address the visible signs of stress-induced inflammation, like redness and irritation. My favorite methods of masking these flare-ups is with the powerful combination of SOOTHE Sensitive Skin Treatment and ENHANCEMENTS Mineral Peptides. Both contain exclusive RFp3 technology to reduce irritation, diminish redness and build up my skin’s barrier so it’s more prepared to battle my next bout of stress.

And when things get really bad, I escape it all and retreat to the mountains for some R&R. While I’m skiing I think of nothing more than getting down the mountain safely.

Here’s to looking fabulously flawless for the festivities ahead. Wishing you and yours a healthy, happy and stress free holiday season!

Rodan+Fields Dermatologists

Orientation Call
712.432.1085 code102236#
 
 Start Living Your Dreams!
Sometimes to get what we don't have - we have to do
the things we have never done.
With Rodan+Fields, you won't be alone in doing them - there is a whole team of qualified people just waiting to help you succeed.
Trade some part-time hours for a more full-time life today and
watch your skin and your life change in ways you have - up to this point - only imagined the could!!

Posted via email from Faces by Trish with Rodan + Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment