Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Confessions of a Dermatologist

By Kathy Fields, MD

My dermatology training and experience provides a profound appreciation of the impact of diet on skin. And I do my best to eat healthy foods that will benefit my body and complexion, and avoid the ones that will derail my diet, cause mid-day energy slumps and adversely affect my skin. But there is one day every year when self-control goes out the window and I can’t help but indulge … and that’s Thanksgiving Day. I absolutely love the classic Thanksgiving meal and just can’t stay away from port marinated turkey and stuffing.

In my 20s and 30s, I tried different tricks to survive the 4th Thursday in November … turkey without the sauce, the three bite rule, no stuffing, no desserts—you name it, I’ve tried it. But older and wiser now, I’ve learned to better manage this indulgence with simple planning. Here’s how I prepare for Turkey Day:

  • I start Thanksgiving Day reflecting on what I’m grateful for during an hour long cardio session. It’s a great way to meditate, not to mention make room for the meal to come. I make sure to drink lots of water and if I’m feeling really hungry before mealtime, I’ll sneak in an apple to curb my appetite.
  • After dinner, I am first to volunteer for dish duty. Getting away from the buffet table helps minimize grazing and gives me the opportunity to catch up with the other relatives that are drying as I wash.
  • Finally, I make sure to send all the leftovers home with our friends and relatives. While one day of indulging is completely appropriate … stringing it out through the weekend is not. At the end of the day, my advice is to enjoy Thanksgiving (and all the trimmings) guilt free but make sure you plan appropriately so you don’t carry it with you into the new year.

Posted via email from Faces by Trish with Rodan + Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment